Friday, March 19, 2010

WREB CLINICAL DH

Today was my clinical DH exam, the one I paid $950 to take!! Nerves were veyr high this morning. I had to drive myself today because the other girls in my carpool have their exam later. Anyway, I was really nervous my patient would be late and I was right, she was. Luckily I had told her to come super early so I was able to get her checked in on time. As my patient was being checked in I set up my instruments and ultrasonic and then I had to sit there and wait for an hour for my paitent to come back to me. As I was sitting there I was talking to some of the other girls and I was getting more and more nervous my patient was not going to qualify. Two of the girls before me had their patients brought back to them and they did not qualify, their first and second submission!!! I was so nervous because the same instructor who checked my patient had checked one of theirs. I saw my patient on her way to me and I thought "Please have a blue paper, please have a blue paper" because the patient's that did not qualify came back with a yellow paper. As soon as I saw that blue paper I was so relieved, she qualified! And even my first submission, so I did not loose any points on submission. After that I jumped right in and began. It was really weird giving anesthesia with no instructor there to watch me, it was a good weird, like, Yeah I can do this myself!! So I used every ultrasonic tip I had and did that for almost an hour. I then went through and used my graceys and every other instrument I own. I finished up the the slimline ultrsonic tip and felt pretty good about everything. There was one little tiny rough spot on the mesial of 21 so I grabbed my very sharp montana jack and beared down on my fulcrum and I totally slipped off and stabbed my patient's tongue with it!!! I felt SO bad, I was jsut so nervous and wanted to get that calculus off and I slipped. It bled pretty good, so if the examiners see that I wonder if they will count that as tissue trauma. Oh well, after that I did my probing and recession and I feel pretty good about that so I checked her out. Then I cleaned up my unit and went downstairs to wait for another hour before she was done.I gave her a thank you card and some money and set up a final appointment. Then she left and I stayed to babysit the backup patients for the afternoon.

No comments: