Thursday, March 18, 2010

WREB ANESTHESIA

This week was WREB so I did not have normal clinic (well it is actaully spring break). So instead of going somewhere fun for the break or going to clinic I stayed home and studied for days straight for my anesthesia test. Well, it paid off. I went in to take the anesthesia exam and I left feeling a little worried but not too bad. Well, I PASSED the written but I feel really bad because a few girls in my class did not pass and I didn't realize it and I was celebrating that I passed and they probably thought I was a jerk. Anyway, then after that I was the very first student to take the clinical anesthesia exam. I was super nerovus but just set my things up like I normally do and hoped for the best. I brought my patient back and instructed her on a few things to do that would make it easier for me to see then it was time to begin. The instructors first came over to check and make sure my patient did not have any sores or puncture marks at the injection sites. Well, she didn't so I was okay there. Then they checked my paper work to make sure everything was in order and luckily it was so they told me to apply topical. So they walked away and I applied topical and waited for them to come back. After a few minutes they came back and asked if I was ready to go. The examiners were really nice and very helpful, they really calmed my nerves because of how nice they were. Well, I was ready so I started with the right PSA. Everything went pretty smoothly and before I knew it I was done with that injection. Then I proceded to do the left IA. I started, was a little shaky, but I made it to sight of penetration. I proceeded to site of deposition, then aspirating and then I thought I saw red in the carpule but wasn't sure if it was just my patient's tongue I could see through the carpule. SO I said "I think it is a positive aspiration, yes it is a positive aspiration". They probably thought I was stupid and couldn't tell what a positive aspiration looked like. Anyway, I withdrew and got a new setup and tried again. This time I got a negative aspiration and all was well and it was over. I walked my patient out and broke down my room, I had a bit of a struggle with getting the needle off the syringe but it ended up being fine. I then waited in the classroom for a little while for my envelope to arrive. It arrived and I got a purple SUCCESS MEMO!! It was great I passed both injections the first time. I was really excited. I then waited around because my orientation for clinical dental hygiene the next day was at 3:30. Luckily I stayed because one of my peers needed to use me to retake the clinical local anesthesia because she failed one injection. I was happy to help. She did a great job and she ended up passing. Only one girl out of all of us who passed the written failed the clincal anesthesia, so overall it was a great day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there Candace,
I am a dental hygienist in California who is getting ready to take the anesthesia board in two weeks and your blog was so helpful in visualizing the exam. I have no idea what to expect for the written portion and as I'm sure you would guess am SO nervous. I would be so greatful for any tips or advice you have! My email address is tuthfairi@aol.com Congrats to you on your success!